Tablet Weaving & Ply-Splitting | Resume for teacher and author Linda Hendrickson
Tablet Weaving and Ply-Splitting Books, Tools & Kits
My Articles, Books, Reviews, DVDs, and You-Tube Videos
My Work in Media by Other Authors
Teaching in my Studio
Teaching and Demonstrations in the Portland Area
Teaching at Guilds and Conferences
Exhibitions, Commissions, Grants, and Awards
Cultural and Volunteer Experiences
My Articles, Books, Reviews, DVDs, and You-Tube Videos
Review of Tablet Weaving in True Nordic Fashion by Sonja Berlin, Handwoven, March/April 1996, p. 13-14.
"Weaving with a Twist: Get Ready to Flip, Rotate, Turn", Weaver's, Spring 1996, p. 46-49.
"Tablet Weaving", Shuttle Spindle and Dyepot, Spring 1996, p. 48-49.
Tablet Weaving for Parents and Children, 16 pages, self-published, 1995.
Review of Beads and Threads by Helen Banes and Diane Fitzgerald, Handwoven, March/April 1994.
"Combining Handwoven and Commercial Fabrics", Handwoven, March/April 1994.
Tubular Cardwoven Neckpieces, 40 pages, Robin & Russ Handweavers, 1994.
"It's All in the Cards -- Tubular Cardwoven Necklaces", Handwoven, Sept./Oct. 1993, p. 72-76.
"Uniting to Weave a Real Peace", Shuttle Spindle & Dyepot, Spring 1993, p. 42-45.
"Contemporary Rag Placemats", Handwoven, March/April 1993, p. 74, 89-90.
"Felted Vest with Serger Embellishments", Handwoven, Jan./Feb. 1992, p. 60.
"Confetti Mug Rugs", Handwoven, Jan./Feb. 1992, p. 48.
My Work in Media by Other Authors
- "Ply-Split Letters in TLOI", in Braids, Bands, & Beyond: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Braiding, p. 52-56, The Braid Society, 2016.
- "Sazigyo: Sacred Images and Long Lines of Fine, Shapely Lettering", in Braids, Bands, & Beyond: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Braiding, p. 108-114, The Braid Society, 2016.
- Ply-Split Braiding: Using a Double-Pointed Gripfid to Make Leftward Splittings, instructional video, www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2014.
- How to Make Ply-Split Baskets, instructional video, www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2014.
- How to Make Ply-Split Braids & Bands, 222 pages, self-published, 2014.
- Ply-Split Braiding: The "Waffle" Braid, instructional video, www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2013.
- Tablet Weaving with Wire, instructional video, www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2013.
- Tablet Weaving: Graphing and Weaving Letters, instructional video, www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2012.
- Tablet Weaving: Pangram Bands from "Please Weave a Message" instructional video,www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2011.
- Make the Ply-Split "Waves" Braid, instructional video,www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2011.
- How to Make Ply-Split Baskets, 180 pages, self published, 2010.
- Linda Hendrickson demonstrates making cords for ply-splitting, instructional video, www.youtube.com/lindahendrickson, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2008.
- Review of Fun with Chinese Knotting: Making Your Own Fashion Accessories and Accents and The Complete Book of Chinese Knotting: A Compendium of Techniques and Variations by Lydia Chen, Handwoven, May/June 2008, p. 21-22.
- Ply-Split Garlic Basket instructional DVD, produced by John Brockway and Linda Hendrickson, 2007.
- "Tablet-Woven Leashes for Spike and Jones", an online article for Handwoven Summer 2006.
- "Ply-Splitting for Wrist Distaffs: Something New to do with your Handspun", Spin-Off, Summer 2005, p. 50-57.
- Two-Hole Andean Pebble Weave, 28 pages, self-published, 2004.
- Review of Maya Hair Sashes Backstrap Woven in Jacaltenango, Guatemala by Carol Ventura, Handwoven, May/June 2004, p. 20-21.
- "Tablet Weaving with Children", Handwoven, November/December 2003, p. 43.
- "Ply-Splitting: An Exciting New Technique", National Basketry Organization News, Vol. 4, Issue 1, October 2003, p. 8 and 10.
- Please Weave a Message: Instructions and Graphs for Tablet-Woven Calligraphy, 144 pages, self-published, 2003.
- "Ply-Split Braiding" (a support article for HGA's Learning Exchange 30), Shuttle Spindle and Dyepot, Winter 2001/2002, p. 57-61.
- "Star Ornaments in Ply-Split Braiding", Handwoven, September/October 2001, p. 30-32.
- Review of Ecclesiastical Pomp and Aristocratic Circumstance: A Thousand Years of Brocaded Tablet-Woven Bands by Nancy Spies, Shuttle Spindle & Dyepot, Winter 2000/01, p. 10-11.
- Great SCOT! A beginner's guide to ply-split braids in Single-Course Oblique Twining, 28 pages, self-published, 2000.
- "Tablet-Woven Gauze Scarves", Weaver's, Issue 43, Spring 1999, p. 64-65.
- "Tablet Weaving", Journal for Weavers, Spinners and Dyers (England), September 1998, p. 36-38.
- "S p a c e d O u t Tablet Warps!", Weaver's, Issue 40, Summer 1998, p. 46-49.
- "Ply-Split Braiding: Adventures with SCOT", Ontario Handweavers and Spinners Bulletin (Canada), Vol. 41, No. 1, Spring 1998, p. 12-15. Color cover photo of my SCOT ply-split braids.
- Review of The Techniques of Ply-Split Braiding by Peter Collingwood, Weaver's, Winter 1998, page 64.
- "Tablet-Woven Piping", Strands (journal of The Braid Society, England), Issue 4, 1997, p. 18-19.
- "Peter Collingwood's Commission", Fiberarts, Nov/Dec 1997, p. 15.
- "Double-Faced Tablet Weaving", Weaver's, Spring 1997, p. 38-41.
- Review of The Techniques of Tablet Weaving by Peter Collingwood, Weaver's, Fall 1996, p. 52.
- Double-Faced Tablet Weaving: 50 Designs from Around the World, 120 pages, self-published, 1996.
- Weave A Neckpiece (Using Tubular Cardweaving Techniques), instructional video, Victorian Video, 1996 (now available through my web site in DVD
- WeaveCast Audio Episode 49, "Linda Hendrickson" produced by Syne Mitchell, January 2010. A 43-minute interview about tablet weaving and ply-splitting. Interview conducted September 2008.
- Review of my DVD Ply-Split Garlic Basket by Syne Mitchell.
- "Little Masterpieces: The Art of Sazigyo from the Collection of Herbert Haar" by Kathleen Johnson, Sawaddi: Asian Arts & Culture by the American Women's Club, Second Quarter 2005 (photo of my tablet-woven inscription bands and one band in the process of being woven on page 37).
- Beyond Tradition: Contemporary Ply-Split Fiber Sculpture, Exhibition catalog published by Contemporary Crafts Museum and Gallery, Portland, OR, 2004 (Preface on p. 5-7, and photo of ply-split "Raffia Vessel" on p. 15.
- "Design and Craft Take Portland's Center Stage" in Art Access, October 2004, p. 14-15 (photo of ply-split "Raffia Vessel" on p. 15).
- "2 weekends, 94 artists, no waiting: Painters, weavers, sculptors show visitors the places where their creations happen", Portland Tribune, October 5, 2004, p. B1-2 (description of my work and studio, and photo of cordmaking on p. 2.
- "Textile art exhibit traces ancient camel cinches to modern sculpture" by Dave Johnson, The Asian Reporter, November 2, 2004, p. 11 (photo of ply-split "Raffia Vessel" on p. 11).
- 1st Thursday Portland Gallery Exhibitions, November 2004 (detail photo of ply-split basket "Anemone" on inside back cover).
- "Art and Community: Reaching out from the family practice office" by Dr. William Ventres and Samantha Charles, MGMA Connexion, November/December 2003, p. 34-35 (photo of tablet-woven wall hanging "Star Illusion", created with students at Kellogg Middle School in Portland on p. 35).
- Handwerken zonder grenzen (Dutch fiber art magazine), "Spel tussen schering en inslag: soepele sjaals in kaartweefsel geweven op een getouw", by Marijke van Epen, June 2003, p. 23-26 (photos of tablet-woven scarves on p. 13-14).
- Fiber-Wire Beads & Jewelry by Lisa Vann, 2002 (photos and directions for plied-cord bracelets made with a combination of fiber and wire on p. 112-113).
Teaching in my Studio -- I have had a fiber art studio in my home in Portland, Oregon, since 1985. Currently I have students who come for lessons on a weekly basis, and I also provide instruction to individuals by appointment.
Teaching in the Portland Area -- Since 1996, I have been a Community Artist in the Neighborhood Arts Program of the Regional Arts & Culture Council, Portland, Oregon. I have taught workshops for all ages in community centers, schools, city parks, and in programs aimed at helping at-risk children and their parents. I have also taught workshops in the Arts-in-Libraries program in Multnomah County, and before- and after-school workshops in the SUN Schools Program (Schools Uniting Neighborhoods). I demonstrate tablet weaving and ply-splitting at various events including the Portland Handweavers Guild Annual Sale (part of the Gathering of the Guilds at the Oregon Convention Center) and at Art in the Pearl in the North Park Blocks on Labor Day Weekend.
Teaching at Guilds and Conferences -- I have taught and lectured at many weaving guilds and conferences since 1992, including the following:
Teaching at Conferences:
American Conference on Oriental Rugs, Indianapolis, IN, 2002
Association of Southern California Handweavers Conference, Escondido, CA, 2005
Conference of Northern California Handweavers, 2002, 2007
Convergence Conference of the Handweavers Guild of America 1996, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2012
Eastern Great Lakes Fiber Conference, Chautauqua, NY, 2001
Fiber in the Forest, Camp Myrtlewood, OR, 1998
Handweavers, Spinners, and Dyers of Alberta Conference, Olds, Alberta, Canada; 2003
LunaSea Retreat, Destin, FL, 2000
Mid-Atlantic Fiber Conference, 1997, 1999
Midwest Weavers' Conference, 1999, 2001, 2003
Newport Paper Arts Festival, 2010, 2011
NW Spinners Conference, Salem, OR, 1997
SE Fiber Forum, Norcross, GA, 2003
Spliterati-01, the First International Ply-Split Braiding Convention, Bampton, England, 2001
Third International Conference on Braiding, Tacoma, WA, 2016
Teaching at Guilds:
Arizona Desert Weavers and Spinners Guild, Phoenix, AZ, 2007
Bead Society of Greater New York, 1996
Braid Society, England, in Wokingham, Banbury, Westhope College, and Leeds, 1998
Central Ohio Weavers Guild, Columbus, OH, 1996
Charlottesville Fiber Artisans, Charlottesville, VA, 1997
Cleveland Institute of Art and Cuyahoga Weavers Guild, 1999
Columbia Basin Basketry Guild, Portland, OR 2008, 2009
Columbia Gorge Regional Arts Association, Hood River, OR, 1995
Corvallis Handweavers Guild, Corvallis, OR, 1995, 2002
Diablo Weavers Guild, Walnut Creek, CA, 2003
Del Oro Spinners and Weavers Guild, CA, 1999
Eugene Weavers Guild, Eugene, OR, 1995, 1997
G-Street Fabrics, Rockville, MD, 1997
Great Basin Basketry Guild, Reno, NV, 2008
Green Mountain Spinners and Weavers, North Adams, MA, 1996
Headles & Treadles, Coos Bay, OR, 1995
Headwaters Federation Rendezvous, Bemidji, MN, 1995
Handweavers Guild of Westchester, Chappaqua, NY, 1996, 1997
Handweavers of Bucks County, PA, 2000
Indy Weavers, Spinners & Dyers, Indianapolis, IN, 2002
Jockey Hollow Weavers Guild, NJ, 2000
John C. Campbell Folk School, 2001
Lancaster Spinners & Weavers, Lancaster, PA, 1995
Loom and Shuttle Guild, San Francisco, CA, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2008
Michigan Weavers Guild, Detroit, MI, 1996
Mt. Lassen Handweavers, Chico, CA, 1999
New York Guild of Handweavers, 1996
Oregon Wheel & Loom Society, Salem, OR, 1998
Pacific NW Needle Arts Guild, Seattle, WA, 2003
Palomar Handweavers Guild, El Cajon, CA, 2015
Philadelphia Guild of Handweavers, 1995
Portland Handweavers Guild, 2009
Potomac Craftsmen, Washington, DC, 1996
Princeton Weavers Guild, NJ, 2000
Rocky Mountain Weavers Guild, Denver, CO, 2008
Sacajawea Handweavers Guild, Longview, WA, 1995
Sacramento Weavers and Spinners Guild, 1999
Salem Fiber Arts Guild, Salem, OR, 2002
San Diego Creative Weavers, San Diego, CA, 2000, 2006, 2015
Southern California Handweavers Guild, Los Angeles, CA, 2005
Springwater Fiber Workshop, Alexandria, VA, 1996, 2003
Tamalpais Weavers Guild, Healdsburg, CA
Textile Learning Center at Mission Mill Museum, Salem, OR, 2001
The Textile Museum, Washington, DC (tablet weaving demonstration), 1999
The Weaver's Place, Baltimore, MD, 1996, 1997
Third Star Fiber Guild, Salem, NJ, 1995
Tulsa Weavers Guild, 1997
Ventura County Handweavers and Spinners Guild, Ventura, CA, 2005
Weavers Guild of Greater Baltimore, 1996
Weavers Guild of Kalamazoo, MI, 2005
Weavers Guild of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2005
Weavers of Orlando, 1997
Weavers Guild of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1996
Yokayo Weavers and Spinners Guild, Ukiah, CA
Selected Exhibitions, Commissions, Grants, and Awards
- Teachers' Exhibit, Braids, Bands, & Beyond, the Third International Conference on Braiding, Tacoma, WA
- Leader Exhibit, Convergence 2012, Long Beach, CA.
- Invited artist, Art in the Pearl Collaborative Exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Craft, Portland, OR (collaborating with furniture maker Alexander Anderson.
- Invited artist, Wild Wild Wool Show, TACtile Textile Art Center, Denver, CO.
- Invited artist, National Basketry Organization's "All Things Considered IV", at Arrowmont School of Arts & Crafts, Gatlinburg, TN.
- Invited artist, Art in the Pearl Collaborative Exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Craft, Portland, OR (collaborating with metalsmith Randy Rasmussen).
- Best of Oregon, Weaving Guilds of Oregon juried traveling exhibition.
- Invited artist, Art in the Pearl Collaborative Exhibition , Portland, OR (collaborating with metalsmith Rebecca Melton).
- Leader Exhibit and TWIST Exhibit, Convergence 2006, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Assisted in organizing the international exhibition "Beyond Tradition: Contemporary Ply-Split Fiber Sculpture", Contemporary Crafts Museum and Gallery, Portland, OR.
- Juried exhibition "Spirit of the West: An Interfaith Exhibition of Fiber Art", Golden, CO. Tablet-woven wall hanging "hate by love alone is healed" received the Rocky Mountain Weavers' Guild Award.
- "Best of the West: Leader Exhibit", Convergence 2004, Denver, CO.
- Tablet-woven pangram bands in the Portland Handweavers Guild Exhibition received the Complex Weavers Award from juror Sharon Alderman.
- Study Grant, "Cordmaking for Ply-Split Braiding", Portland Handweavers Guild
- Juried exhibitions "Celestial Navigation" and "Sea Strands", and Leader Exhibit "Treasure Trove" at Convergence 2002 in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- "Tomorrow's Heirlooms" and "Brave New Worlds" exhibitions at ANWG Conference, Eugene, OR. Tablet-Woven band The Queen's Attendant won Weavers Choice and Continuity of Tradition awards.
- "Small Expressions", juried exhibition of the Handweavers Guild of America, St. Louis, MO.
- "Expanding the Girths", an exhibition of traditional and contemporary ply-split braiding, West Ox Arts Gallery, Bampton, England, and the Nehru Centre, London.
- Awarded a grant by the Regional Arts & Culture Council, Portland, OR, to attend the First International Ply-Split Braiding Convention in England in September 2001
- TWIST Exhibition, French Cultural Center, Haifa, Israel
- Wall hanging commissioned by Providence Family Medicine clinic: shaped ply-split braids hanging from a tablet-woven header band, created with students at DaVinci Arts Middle School, Portland, OR
- "Jubilations: Celebrating African Textile Traditions", juried exhibition at Convergence 2000, Cincinnati, OH
- "The Newest in the Traditional", TWIST Exhibition, Seamgallery, Haifa, Israel
- "Personal Projections", Midwest Weavers Conference 1999 Teachers Exhibit, School of Fine Arts Gallery, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- MAFA 1999 Faculty Show, Bucknell Art Gallery, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
- "Turning is Our Delight", TWIST international exhibition at Convergence '98, Atlanta, GA
- Wall hanging commissioned by Providence Family Medicine clinic: "Star Illusion", triaxially-interlaced tablet-woven bands, created with students at Kellogg Middle School, Portland, OR
- "Take Time", Instructors' Exhibit, Convergence 96, Portland, OR
- "TWINE International Tablet Weaving Exhibition", Portland, OR
- "Gleaming Treasures" International Bead & Button juried exhibition, Houston, TX
- "Contemporary Tablet Weaving: New Twists on an Ancient Art", Valley Art, Forest Grove, OR
- "Best of Oregon", Weaving Guilds of Oregon traveling exhibition
- "Weaving in the Norwegian Tradition", Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum, Decorah, IA
- Study Grant, "Double-Faced Cardweaving", Portland Handweavers Guild
Cultural and Volunteer Experiences
- Workshops with Peter Collingwood, Virginia Harvey, Marijke van Epen, Erroll Pires
- Weaving classes at Oregon School of Arts & Crafts, Portland
- B.S. in Home Economics, magna cum laude, University of North Carolina, Greensboro
- OSU Master Gardener, volunteer in Audubon Society's Backyard Habitat Certification Program
- Volunteered at Art from the Heart, teaching fiber arts to developmentally-disabled adults
- Volunteered at the International Refugee Center of Oregon, teaching English to refugees
- Initiated a Peace Corps Partnership project and coordinated fundraising to build a classroom in rural Kenya
- Organized and led a "Tablet Weaving Adventure" study trip to England and Holland
- Taught weaving and sewing to women in rural self-help co-ops in El Rodeo, Jalisco, Mexico
- Organized and led two "Crafts and Culture" tours to Kenya (East Africa)
- Lived in Karlsruhe, Germany, from age 10-13, and traveled and camped throughout Europe
Tablet Weaving Gallery
Please contact me to report errors, broken or incorrect links, etc. Thank you!
This page updated August 4, 2016.